PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, October 6, 2011

A means to an end and an end to means.


When I have days like yesterday
I pretend I'm in places like this
and that mean people don't exist
in these appealing places.

But alas,
mean people are everywhere.
It makes me strengthen my resolve to
fight down the natural Mandy
who wants to call people out
on their shenanigans bc I feel they deserve it,
and quiet my impatience and frustration when
I feel wronged.

It would make me feel really good
if you guys would join me
in declaring that you will choose your behaviour
to be respectful and kind to your fellow humans
whether you are in the right or the wrong.
This isn't to say that we can't stand up for what we believe in
or that we shouldn't defend ourselves/family/freedom
but just that we will do so as mature, responsible adults
no matter how the opposition chooses to conduct themselves.
I don't think that's too crazy.
And if we set the example,
maybe it will influence those around us to do the same!
And then slowly, bit by bit
meanness will be eradicated!
.....
or at least it'll just make me feel better.



ps- enter a totes bodacious giveaway!


10 comments:

Ciara said...

Goodness, I feel exactly the same way. I took a moment last night as I sat on my porch to meditate on how behavior in responding to opposition is what takes the conflict to being resolved or escalated. It's especially hard for me when my opinionated Latin sass wants to come out in full throttle. But I believe in doing the right thing, self control, and killing wrongs with happiness. I got your back, lady!

Annemarie said...

Hate mean people! Absolutely joining you in declaring kind and respectful behavior. Hope today is better for you :) xx

Jenna said...

You're so right. *peace signs*

Mars said...

gah! I feel like so many people have made blog posts of fb posts this week about "mean" people or something of the sort. Why can't everyone just be nice and act like an adult in situations like that. I know I need to work on this because I'm very opinionated when standing up for myself or defending when I'm in the right but you're right-if everyone tried a little harder maybe some meanness would be eradicated! That or just eat a cupcake or something to make you feel better :)

Darci Cole said...

Mean people are just... mean. And it makes me feel sad wen they are mean. I just read a post over at Single Dad Laughing (danoah.com) about his personal experiences with bullies through elementary, junior, and high school, and all the demons he's had to conquer over the years to finally rise above all that. It's terrible to think that people to such things to each other. We're all brothers and sisters, and we really ought to act that way.

Moorea Seal said...

I'm with you <3
I always try to remember, you know, most mean people are probably really hurting from something in their lives. The kind people understand that all people have experienced pain and don't let their own pains rule their lives and understanding of others. You are kind, and you have a greater understanding of the need for kindness in the world. Lets hope the mean ones can learn.
xo Moorea

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I agree! We should definitely be kind to others and set a good example, regardless of our circumstances or the people that surround us. Love what you had to say here!

i'm leslie said...

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

agreed! I try to treat people the way I want to be treated. that's the bare minimum everyone should keep in mind!

Lisa Maria said...

I will definitely join you in this! I can't tell you how many times I see people be so unnecessarily rude during my morning commute on the metro. The only thing I can control is how I react. I love Moorea's comment. It reminds me of this quote: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."